Thursday, April 26, 2012

Early season report

Playoff odds over at ESPN has the padres at a 9.8% chance of making the playoffs. I say fuck that. Nobody in this division is running away with it. Sorry, Los Angeles. The rest of your team sucks and Matt Kemp isn't going to hit .450 and Ted Lilly isn't going to have a 0.90 ERA for the rest of the season. And while I'm not sold on the Lincecum is done story, his velocity is down and he's having trouble locating. So Fuck You, coolstandings, the Padres have a shot.

St. Louis looks like the cream of that division.  Philadelphia is still breathing, kind of. Cliff Lee might cripple them. I have no idea how they're scoring runs, that lineup sucks. I like me some Victorino and Pence but I always thought Chooch was a product of the massive bats around him (Utley and Howard). Utley and Howard would make any lineup better (Howard some lineups better.) but more importantly, the Phillies have legitimately terrible options behind them. They're using worse than replacement level hitters as substitutes for MVP candidates (well, at least in Utley's case).

And Boston, man, Boston is a train wreck. How...man, that team is...dysfunctional. I mean, I think they'll pull it together and make a run at the postseason because they have too much offensive talent (Youkilis-Gonzalez-Ellsbury-Pedroia-Ortiz is a juggernaut lineup) but that pitching staff is atrocious.

Texas has played out of this world. Which is all I can really say for them. They've got a nuts team right now. Absolutely nuts. I don't want to jinx them but...they're +55 in run differential and last  year the Yankees had the best run differential with +210. And the Rangers have played 19 games. Which means the Rangers have outscored their opponents by 2.89 runs per game on average. Yankees? Outscored their opponents last year by 1.29 runs per game on average.

I mean, I don't want to get carried away. They've played really good baseball over 19 games, though.

Hope. Chase Headley is my favorite.

No comments:

Post a Comment